Snort mailing list archives

PGP GNUTella GET from mailserver to outside port 25

From: JJ <jjhorner () SAFe-mail net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:28:25 -0400

I've got a mailserver which is connecting to an external machine's port 25 (not strange), but the traffic that snort
reports flags the above rule (GET ...).  I've captured this traffic using ethereal, but I can not see the "GET" string
anywhere in the traffic.  A lot of the HTTP/1.1 type information is missing in Ethereal.  The HTTP/1.1 negotiation
stuff is in the snort logs.

What's going on?  Why is snort and ethereal reporting two different things.  I've looked at specific packets and
matched by sequence numbers and still the payloads don't match.

I'm really confused, please help.