Snort mailing list archives

RE: Rules for detecting spyware

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:59:34 -0700 (PDT)

Spyware sucks [pause for applause].  Two things that I did to
stop it were using the free version of Zone Alarm on my M$ boxen
and running "Ad-aware".  Ad-aware is a signature-based house
cleaning tool and ZA prompts you to allow each program to use
your network explicitly, which most users will just say yes to
but it's better than nothing.

I can't imagine spyware signatures working on the network level
unless you wrote one for each application.  At that point the
vendor could just read the signature in snort database and go
around it.

Fortunately as Americans we can trust our government to protect
our privacy...BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

--- Gordon Cunningham <gacunningham () bellsouth net> wrote:
Everyone is worried about the rogue blackhat hacker team, when
the types of
companies and thinking behind spyware use to collect
information about your
"habits" are probably far more insidious over time.

- Gordon

"When I finally found a spam filter that worked, I no longer
received any
email."