Snort mailing list archives

Re: Identifying monitoring interface w/snort and acidlab

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:51:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 cowboym () shmoo com wrote:

I'm using acidlab/mysql as a front-end for several snort sensors, some of
which have dual interfaces.  On these particular machines, interface eth0
is used by the sensor for sending alerts to the mysql database, and eth1
is attached to a span port on a switch, and does not have an IP address
assigned to it.

When alerts from these dual-nic sensors are displayed in acidlab, they
show up with a sensor address of "unknown:eth1:eth1".  Does anyone have
any ideas on how to change this to display the IP address of the
configured interface (eth0) so I can identify which sensor is generating
the alerts?

I'm not sure if the fix lies within the snort config, or within the
acidlab setup, so I thought I'd ask here while digging through
documentation as well.

From the manual [0]:

    sensor_name
        Specify your own name for this snort sensor. If you do not specify
        a name one will be generated automatically encoding

You should be able to add that to your db output line on each box to fix
it.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams