Snort mailing list archives

RE: Database tools?

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:48:58 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Quibell [mailto:mquibell () fbfs com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 1:27 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Database tools?

Curious, what do y'all use for managing the MYSQL database,
beside the http frontend (ACID, DEMARC)? Today I had a few
machines who got infected (still) from the MSBLASTER.D, and
of course it over loaded my db, cranking 600K alerts in 45
mins. And if you use ACID, you know how hard and how long it
takes to delete tha many alerts.

Along with some other folks, I wrote a script that allows you to either
drop records or archive records from the Mysql db.  If you want a copy,
just email me.

To deal with the worms, I just started a second instance of snort on the
same interface (renamed everything - ACID, snort, snort.conf, etc.,
etc.) and I just drop that db periodically (sometimes several times a
day.)

Also, I wonder if there is a wayt to simply have a threshold
for alerts, so if I want to only be alerted on the first 10
of the same 100000 alerts. Thanks.

I don't think so, but Erik can probably give you a definitive answer.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member