Snort mailing list archives

Portscan2 to detect RPC and other similar worms?

From: "William Tan" <bill () wwtan com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:07:00 -0400

Many of the recent worms tend to exhibit themselves by scanning the same port (say tcp 135) on hundreds of hosts in a
short period of time.  Can the portscan2 preprocessor be used to detect this kind of behaviour?

I have experimented briefly with the target_limit and port_limit parameters.  I set target_limit=512 and port_limit=1,
but it seems that this triggers a port scan alert if either condition is met.  What I really want is for both
conditions to be met.

My goal is to use portscan2 to detect infected hosts on my home network (by ignoring $EXTERNAL_NET) with portscan2.  Is
there a better way to do this within Snort?

Thanks.

W Tan