Snort mailing list archives

RE: home_net and external_net: how to use ! with multiple subnets ?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:43:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Tom Van Overbeke wrote:

sorry but no go:

if i try it, snort won't run, it quits with this error:

Aug 20 16:10:58 pitbull snort: FATAL ERROR: Undefined variable name:
(/var/chroot/snort/etc/./snort.org-rules/bad-traffic.rules:12): EXTERNAL_NET

        var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET

Works for me.  I've got a known good working config, and it's not missed a
beat.  :)

Did you make some changes to the snort.conf file?  Out of curiosity, how
about try starting with the snort.conf from the distro, changing your
HOME_NET and then setting EXTERNAL_NET.  I'm sure it will work.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams