Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscan2 false positives from web browsing

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:29:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Ricky Charlet wrote:

      (I think) If I browse any web site which has banner adds, then the
portscan2 preprosessor alarms with someting like:
=========cut =========
Aug 18 15:21:05 dsl081-066-008 snort: [117:1:1] (spp_portscan2)
Portscan detected from <MY_IP_ADDRESS>: 6 targets 6 ports in 13 seconds
{TCP} <MY_IP_ADDRESS>:56541 -> <ADDRESS_OF_BANNER_ADD_SERVER?>:80

This produces a lot of false positive "portscan detected" events in my
logs. Is there a way to ignore portscans ORIGINATING from my host AND
targeted to port 80?

Portscan2 has ignorehosts and ignore{src,dst}ports directives.  Just use
that, or use a BPF filter to totally ignore traffic.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams