Snort mailing list archives

[Fwd: RE: [Snort-sigs] Blaster Alert-False Negative?]

From: "Jade E. Deane" <jade.deane () riven net>
Date: 17 Aug 2003 14:09:49 -0500

From: Jade E. Deane <jade.deane () riven net>
To: lordchariot () earthlink net
Cc: snort-sigs () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-sigs] Blaster Alert-False Negative?
Date: 17 Aug 2003 14:07:22 -0500

This brings up a question I've been kicking around for a while now...

I have a Snort sensor on a mirrored port where my very edge packet
filter sits.  This packet filter does not allow ANY ingress traffic that
isn't already established in it's egress state table.

The question is, what is a good solution for picking up attacks that
require a full TCP handshake?  Netcat?  Honeypot machine?

Regards,
Jade