Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscan2-ignore... ???

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:56:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Michael D Schleif wrote:

[...snip...]

Considering the lack of documentation on this preprocessor, I am
belaboring this point, because I need to understand the intended
behaviour of portscan[2]?

[...snip...]

Use only one of the preprocessors, not both.

When using the ignorehosts line, that line tells ps2 to ignore that host
entirely.  It has no effect on the stream4 scan detection.

If you want to drop the host in all parts of snort, you'll need to use a
BPF filter.  You could do something like:

        snort <options> 'not src host 192.168.123.150'

That would ignore all traffic _from_ 192.168.123.150.  You can refine that
more and use src/dst ports, but that an exercise for the reader.  :)  For
more info on BPF filters, check out the tcpdump man page[0].

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams

[0]     It's not responding right now, or I'd have the URL.  Goto
http://www.tcpdump.org/ and look right near the top of the page.  There's
a link to the tcpdump man page there.  And yes, I'm sure that Google has a
billion of them.  :)