Snort mailing list archives

RE: [Snort-devel] GPL/Open Source: Naieve Question

From: Vkmobile <vkmobile () aol com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:37:03 -0500

Hmmm....My understanding (and i am not a lawyer) is that GPL
specifically says that anyone is free to distribute the software or
products that are based on it. Linux is under GPL and many people
distribute it and sell it and even sell products based on it.

Marc Norton wrote:

My understanding is that anyone can use the snort code and program
either personally or in their place of business.  Patents inhibit you
from reselling any snort based product without a licensing arrangement
with the patent holders.  I believe there are other open source codes
that have patents on them.