Snort mailing list archives

snort under high density traffic

From: Mehmet Ersan TOPALOGLU <mersan () ceng metu edu tr>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:06:35 +0300

Hi,
I use snort to test my thesis but i got stalled at some point.
For normal rates of traffic snort doesn't loose any packets.
It gives an output like
"Snort analysed 1616530 packets out of 1616530, dropping 0 ..."
But if the trafiic density increases it starts to drop the packets.
Everything is normal till now.
But in a controlled test environment i play scenerios with tcpreplay.
Environment is a closed one computers are connected via Cisco Catalyst 2900XL switch. and the machine i am runnig snort is connected to monitoring port of the switch.
I play the scenerio with 1600000 packets at a rate of 1Mbit/s
snort don't loose any packets and gives results as expected.
"Snort analysed 1601000 packets out of 1601000 packets dropping 0..."
slightly increase in number of packet is expected.
But if i increase the speed for example 3 machines replaying different scenerios at 30 Mbit/s each counters of snort get confused.
I sent total of 4800000 packets to the network and snort reports at the end.
"Snort analysed 3800000 packets out of 7000000 packets dropping ...."
I am sure LAN is isolated no other packets can come from outside and
$cat /proc/net/dev
says 3800000 packet received.

Story is the same when i use one packet dumper via tcpreplay at 30Mbit/s.
Dropping packets is normal but total packets exceed with a great amount that sent in the LAN.

What can be the reason for that?

I am using Snort v1.9
and redhat 9 linux PC with kernel 2.4.20.
and libpcap v0.7

I would be pleased if you help
Thanks in advance

--