Snort mailing list archives

Re: SnortCenter and multiple output plugins

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 18:02:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Chris Dos wrote:

I read the information.  However, it doesn't seem to work in practice.
If I just have database logging Log and not Alert, I do not get any
portscans detected listed in Acid.  This is an exerpt from the Acid FAQ:

[...snip...]

Log vs. Alert has been discussed forever on this list.  :)  The long and
short of it is this:

        Log:  Logs the packet and any other information to disk.
        Alert:  Builds an alert and passes it along with the packet data
to the Log facility.

So Log catches all Alerts as well.  Check the last line in the link that I
sent:

        What this means in practical terms is that if the db plugin
        is in alert mode, it will only receive output from alert rules,
        whereas if it's in "log" mode it will receive output from both log
        and alert rules.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams