Snort mailing list archives

Re: timezone whackiness with snort/postgresql database...

From: Matthew Whitworth <matthew () okcomputer org>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 14:09:21 -0700

Andrew,

Your suggestions led me to what seems to have been the problem.

Hutchinson, Andrew wrote:

Also, at the psql prompt, run a "\d event" and check the data type for
timestamp column.  It should be "timestamp without time zone" - is it?
My database actually had "time stamp *with* time zone". I had had trouble building the database using the snort 2.0.0 create_postgresql script (that came with my Debian package) because it tries to use a DATETIME data type, which posgresql 7.3.2 didn't like. So I had downloaded the 2.0.1 snort source and used the create_psql script from that. (And conveniently forgotten all of this because I was doing it completely frazzled at 2:00AM! [PDT :-)])

Unfortunately the snort 2.0.1 create_postgresql script uses the "timestamp *with* time zone" data type:

$ grep -i "timestamp with" snort-2.0.1/contrib/create_postgresql ctime TIMESTAMP with time zone NOT NULL,
                     timestamp   timestamp with time zone NOT NULL,

I edited the 2.0.1 create_postgresql script to say "timestamp without time zone", rebuilt my database and everything seems to work fine.

Thanks tons!

MGW.