Snort mailing list archives

Re: Strange Alerts

From: Artur Bittencourt <artur () via-rs net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:18:33 -0300

Hi there,

I have the same situation here. After I´ve upgraded to Snort 2.0.0 I´ve got a lot of alerts (more than 191000) with "(snort_decoder): T/TCP Detected" on my e-mail server. How do I turn this rule off ?

Thank you for your attention,

Artur

At 10:31 23/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:

Brett.Gillett () tsx com wrote asking:

>I have a question regarding alerts that we started to receive once we
>upgraded to Snort 2.0, it seems that all of our sensors started generating
>T/TCP Detected alerts

T/TCP stands for "Transaction TCP", and is a way of dispensing with the
customary three-way handshake used to initiate a TCP exchange over the
network.  Do a Google on "t/tcp" and you'll find out lots about it, but
here's a link to get started:

  http://ttcplinux.sourceforge.net/

I grepped the source IP in my webserver logs and have so far found that
these packets are commonly associated with "normal" sessions involving
Microsoft IE clients.  Are you hosting any websites?

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop
Geology Department