Snort mailing list archives

Re: "Saving State" in Snort

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:04:11 -0400

"Michael L. Artz" <dragon () october29 net> writes:

Chris Green wrote:

Finally a use for reading in off stdin

(for i in *.cap.gz| do gzip -dc $i; done) | snort -r -  <args>

This seems to fail for me on the "breaks" between files with the error:

pcap_loop:  truncated dump file

I assume that this has to do with the little header that tcpdump adds
to the beginning of each file, i.e. I can mergecap them and run them
through just fine.  Is there something that I am missing beyond 'cat
*.pcap | snort -r -'?  Would a newer libpcap solve the problem?

Nah, I just saw a mailing list reply from Guy Harris over on the
tcpdump works mailing list that uses something more akin to

(COUNTER=0;
 for i in *.cap.gz;
 do
    if [ COUNTER -eq 0 ];
        gzip -dc $i
        COUNTER=1;
    else
        gzip -dc $i | dd bs=24 count=0 skip=1
    fi
 done) | snort -r -

Snort 1.9.1, fairly stock RH8.0.

-Mike

--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.