Snort mailing list archives

iptables vs snort vs portsentry order

From: Sonia Hamilton <sonia () cat org au>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:59:58 +1000

In what order would packets traverse iptables, snort, & portsentry?

I've printed and read both the FAQ & 'Snort Overview'; searching the archives
I've found:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&m=104033416708534&w=2
Jacob Redding
Since iptables works with the kernel, and they are dropped by the
kernel, iptables is first. All packets that make it past iptables are then
passed to applications(I'm not talking layers, just an analogy), in this
case snort.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&m=100164539612753&w=2
JSeddon
     This seems to contradict the conclusion I got from the list archives.
It seems that iptables is processing traffic before snort gets a chance to
see it.  Snort is putting the NIC in promiscuous mode.  But it doesn't see
traffic iptables is configured to block unless I flush the IPtables rules.
Is something misconfigured with snort for me?  Did I draw the wrong
conclusion from the list?

So from these it would seem that iptables sees the packets before snort; how
would portsentry fit in here?

--
Sonia                     |   GNU/Linux - free as in 'free speech',