Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.0 dropping packets

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:54:37 +0200

Hi,

Always Bishan wrote:
Hi Snorters,

I have three sensors in my network.1st sensor is also
the manager and runs on a AMD Athlon and 256MB RAM.

That's not much memory, use more...

2nd sensor is on a Celeron 466Mhz with 192MB RAM
machine and the 3rd on a Pentium II and 128MB RAM.
Same as above, way too less mem...

For testing purposes I ran all three sensors in the
same network with same configuration.I found that all
my three sensors were dropping some packets. There
were unique alerts by one sensor which were missed by
the other two and vica versa.

I'm running these on a HUB based network at 10MBPS and
we are going to shift onto Switches within few days.

Now my problem is what shall I do to avoid this packet
loss as it is going to drop more packets on a switch
network.
Use more powerful machines and some optimization, see below...

I have heard of barnyard but never used it, can
somebody enlighten me on this.
Barnyard can read Snort alerts an write them in a DB or
somewhere else, reliefing Snort much. Use it in connection
with the Snort unified logging output module!

How do you implement and tackle these issues in your
high speed networks.

It will be great if snort champions of this mailing
list can enlighten us all with some *best Practices*
and any caveats.

- Use powerful machines, memory is more important than CPU speed, 64Bit
  if possible/needed
- Reduce your ruleset as far as you can, use multiple sensors for
  different ports if you can, deactivate unnecessary rules going through
  every siingle file one by one one, use ~100 rules on machines with
  2GHz/512MBs RAM (approx value, my personal expirience, may vary)
- Use one sensor for HTTP/CGI only
- Log in unified format, use barnyard
- Deactivate unnecessary plugins (rpc, bo, portscan(1), asn, frag if
  sitting behind a Linux packet filter...)
- Marty said Snort 2 is approx 18x faster than Snort 1.9, try that
- Use Intel or 3Com NICs
- Seee this:
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~rsg/pub/2002_kruegel_valeur_vigna_kemmerer_secpriv02.ps.gz
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-net&m=92459447909270&w=2