Snort mailing list archives

RE: Problem with Snort 2.0.0 and MySQL Client with Redhat 9

From: Mike Chandler <mchandl12000 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:51:23 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry Elvira, I missed your query on how I installed
Snort 2.0.0.  I installed Redhat 9.0, then installed
mysql 3.23.53a, from rpm's the same way I did it for
RH 8.0.  Then I downloaded the tar file for Snort
2.0.0 and put it in a new directory named
Snort-Install.  Then I used tar zxvf
Snort-2.0.0.tar.gz and then cd'd to the Snort-2.0.0
directory.  I used ./configure --prefix=/usr
--with-mysql=/usr.  Then did a make and a make
install.  I am pretty sure that I had to copy the
snort.conf and rules files from the
/Snort-Install/Snort-2.0.0/etc directory intall my
/etc/snort directory and I had to copy the new snort
binary to /usr/sbin directory.  Then I started Snort
with "snort -v -c /etc/snort/snort.conf" and got the
error message.  If I reconfigured snort with
"./configure --prefix=/usr" and left out the
"--with-mysql=/usr" snort ran fine.  I'm not positive
but I'm pretty sure I had previously installed snort
1.9.1 on RH 9.0 and everything worked.  One caveat on
this is that ther are a few steps I left out like
creating the snort database in mysql and building the
tables but I expect you are familiar with that.  One
of the best writeups I have seen for snort on Redhat
is the Snort install Manual for Snort, Mysql, and Acid
on Redhat 7.3 on the Snort website.
--- Elvira_Byrnes () mobileinnovations com au wrote:
Hi Mike

I used to have RedHat 8.0 with MySQL 4.0.12 and some
glibc. After a couple
of months I finally got Snort 1.9.1 to work and
realized there is RH9.0 and
Snort 2.0. I upgraded 8.0 to 9.0 and my Snort still
works. And the system
shows that I still have the same  MySQL version and
it shows glibc as 2.3.2.
I am about to try and upgrade Snort to 2.0 now. I
will see what errors I
will get.

How did you go about upgrading Snort to 2.0?

Thanks.

Regards

Elvira