Snort mailing list archives

Re: ODBC+TDS woes

From: Jeff <jeffi () rcn com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:00:30 -0400

I appreciate the advice, but I am not looking for how to use MySQL, I am looking
to use MS SQL server 2000.  I have already setup such a scenario with MySQL and
it does not scale appropriately on the given hardware.  However there is much
beefier hardware avilable that is already running the MSSQL Server.  FWIW, Acid
works fine with the MSSQL server backend, it is just getting snort to log there
that is my problem.

Thank you,
Jeff

Why don't you use the nice instructions written by Keith Tokash?
http://www.snort.org/docs/

I'm not sure why you're trying to use FreeTDS and UnixODBC.  You don't need
them.  Just use the ports of snort and mysql with aodbc if you want to use
ACID.  Works fine for me.

[snip]

I am trying to get snort to log to an MSSQL 2000 database via
unixODBC+FreeTDS. Every single time snort quits on startup with the
following:

database: ODBC unable to connect
Fatal Error, Quitting..

[snip]
Any insight on what may be causing it, or what needs to be done
differently would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer