Snort mailing list archives

RE: MY SQL, SNORT.

From: David Markle <davidmarkle () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:26:29 -0400

Which doc did you use for your specific install?  Patrick S. Harper
[lists () internetsecurityguru com] put out a real nice doc for installing
these components on RH,
(http://www.internetsecurityguru.com/documents/snort_acid_rh8.pdf).

Specifically what are the errors you are having?  Did you put the correct
entry for the databases output plug in your snort.conf?  Patrick's paper
detail a nice method to test your install, so try it first.

First, verify that all of the applicable services are running, (apache,
mysql, snort). Then you should be able to match up the user, database, and
password from the snort.conf line and manually run a test from the command
line.  For example:

From my snort.conf:  (notice "yourpwd" will be your password without the
""'s)
output database: alert, mysql, user=root password="yourpwd" dbname=snort
host=localhost

From the command line:
#mysql -u root -p"yourpwd" <enter>   (no space after the -p)

This will give you a mysql prompt:
mysql> use snort          (here I am selecting the snort DB)
mysql> show tables;     (this will spit out the table structure for the
snort DB)

Unfortunately, I need more information to help you out further.  You may
have problems originating from the install.  Its hard to tell.  Please let
me know if you need more help.

dm