Snort mailing list archives

RE: Applied Watch for the Snort IDS is Now Available for Free Download

From: "Eric Hines" <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:15:24 -0500

Thank you all for your feedback to our web site and product. I would
like to clarify some misconceptions that have been flying around
regarding how Applied Watch will contact you as well as the reasons for
the detailed information on your network and systems.

1. As you can all see from http://www.appliedwatch.com/thankyou.php it
says that a rep will contact you, there is no explicit wording saying
that they will call you with the download information. As a matter of
fact, several of you have already been emailed by our sales department
with license key information and the download site. So I regret any
misconceptions about this contact method some of you may have had.

2. The reason we are asking for the system OS and IP information is
because of the license key. We can only bind it to a specific IP address
to prevent piracy and moving the server around to different machines.
The Operating System is used to know exactly what architectures we will
be sending you for download.

Again, I regret any misinformation that has been going around. Also, I
will be adding additional information to the form submission regarding
privacy statements. This is definitely an awesome technology that I urge
all of you to check out.

Regards,
Eric Hines