Snort mailing list archives

RE: Question on database for Snort

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: 01 Apr 2003 14:41:19 -0600

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 13:24, Kreimendahl, Chad J wrote:
My guess is that less joins are being done to get the speed lost in
applications like ACID.  Specifically, with a primary key that is two
values, you lose lots of points (create tons more CPU cycles and add
enormous IO time) doing outer joins on tables (like you'd have to for
tcphdr, icmphdr, udphdr....).

Simply taking out those tables which join to iphdr will often save a
great deal of time, but can be a problem when the information is
needed... and the user has to wait a while for it to show up.

Actually that's not the case, but that's also not the primary reason we
began working on our own frontend.  The inability to search for all
events by IP was the biggest driving force and the slow response time
was the second biggest reason.  We also didn't see the need to cache
events rather than simply querying the database directly.  Caching tends
to skew the view you have of what's going on, in our opinion.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer