Snort mailing list archives

SnortCenter - Problem with sensor Retry Connecting

From: "Jeff Bolden" <Jeff.Bolden () sterlingsavings com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:20:53 -0700

Hello all!

I'm a Snort/Snortcenter newbie and am currently setting up a test box
using the docs from www.internetsecurityguru.com as well as
www.superhac.com. I'm winging it some as I go since I'm using Mandrake
9.1, but things are pretty close to the same setup. I have:

- Mandrake 9.1 box patched current
- MySQL v4.0
- Snort 1.9.1 (current tarball from 4/10/2003, compiled with MySQL
support)
- AcID v0.9.6b23 is installed and running, I can view alerts ok
- SnortCenter v0.9.6
- SnortAgent v0.1.6 without SSL (trying to keep things simple right now)
- All known dependencies including cURL installed

My problem is in adding/starting a sensor. After starting the
SnortCenter agent, I can browse to http://localhost:2525 and login,
start & stop snort without a problem. But when I add the sensor via
SnortCenter, I get the usual "Can't Connect to localhost:2525 Retry
Connecting" message. As stated before, curl is installed and in the
path, and just in case I added the $curl_path to the config.php file
just to see if that would work. I'm using the agent with SSL disabled at
the moment just to make things simple, but no matter what I do I can't
seem to connect to the sensor via Snortcenter.

Searching through the list I see a lot of references to my problem, but
the answers given don't seem to resolve the problem here. Can anyone
shed some light on the problem? The error message in SnortCenter doesn't
help much. =)

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Bolden