Snort mailing list archives

Same source/dest

From: Keg <snrtlst () netscape net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:19:47 -0500

I have disable 'bad traffic same src/dst' in bad-traffic rules but I just want to check with you my thoughts on that. I was receiving a lot of those on port 25 for public ip and dmz ip of my mail server. My guess at this poitn is that the snort rule is triggered because each time mail is received or even ident lookup is done the traffic is passed between NATed ip and source ip of the mail sevrer, this in turn triggers the rule. That's why I disabled it (I was having new entry each second in Acid, you can guess how fast the database will be populated with those errors) I just want to hear your opinion on that.....probably I shouldn't have done that?