Snort mailing list archives

RE: [output] Log application data into the database

From: "Emmanuel Dardaine" <emmanuel.dardaine () smart-telecom ch>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:27:59 +0200

Hi Brian,

Well, of course, we're already logging some data in the servers. But, the
fact is that we have to log multiple type of trafic at separate places (for
example, POP3/IMAP + Radius at one place, Radius + SMTP at another place).
Moreover, the softwares used may differ from place to place, thus forcing us
to develop different tools or add-on for each server (Cistron, Netscape,
Courrier, etc...).

To sum up, we're facing 2 issues:
- the environment is widely distributed
- the environment is widely heterogeneous

As a conclusion, we decided to log information from the wire. As this log is
based on protocols (and not on softwares), we're independent from the softs
we use. Moreover, as Snort can be implemented on a distributed model, this
is definitely the solution.

Regards,
Emmanuel