Snort mailing list archives

(A little off topic but not really) Connection dropping.

From: "Brei, Matt" <mbrei () medclaiminc com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:45:19 -0400

I'm using iptables on a redhat 8.0 machine to route my cable connection
to the rest of the lan.  This has been working great for almost a year
now.  Snort is running on the same box and logging to a MySQL server on
another machine.  The problem I am having is the connection gets dropped
every few minutes.  I have to do ifconfig eth1 down, ifconfig eth1 up,
route add default gateway 1.2.3.4, then everything works fine (for
another few minutes)  or I can just wait 5 or 10 minutes and the
connection comes back up.  I wanted to know if I can have snort log
every packet that comes in or goes out on eth1 (or if I should just use
ethereal) to see why this is happening.  I also need to know what to
look for.  Any ideas or if any of you have had this same problem, let me
know.

Thanks

Matt