Snort mailing list archives

Re: $HOME_NET

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:20:50 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Keg wrote:

1. I get it., but on the other hand my EXTERNAL_NET is set to ANY.
Should that  treat nessus box as external_net?

It should.

If you run Snort in sniffer mode, can you see traffic destined for the
Win32 box?

        snort -vd

2. Should I always use EXTERNAL_NET as !$HOME_NET?

That's up to you.  I do it to cut down on false positives.  Try it both
ways and see what works better for you.

-----
Erek Adams