Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie questions are as newbie questions does

From: "Michael L. Artz" <dragon () october29 net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:02:07 -0400

Snort is currently "first match out" IDS, so make sure that you define your alerts by specificity in the config file.

-Mike

Geoff Craig wrote:

Hello all,

In a “theoretical” deployment, say you had one Snort box that was monitoring traffic going to 3 boxes, 2 real web servers, and 1 honeypot. So, I have a rule that alerts on all port 80 traffic going to the honeypot, but just the web-iis.rules for the other 2 web servers. Will the rule that logs all port 80 traffic cause the web-iis.rules to not be fired when going to the honeypot? If I need to be more in depth let me know.

In other words, what happens if two rules happen to be a positive for a certain packet or stream? If only one fires how can you control which one?

Thanks!

Geoff