Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Catalyst - SNORT

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:34:10 -0400

Jeff Nathan wrote:

But wait, it gets better. Imagine having to copy that many frames from an ordinary switch port to a SPAN port. Two point eight million frames per second!

I'm sure some Ethernet switches mirror traffic very well, but upon further investigation I believe it would be stretching the truth to say there is no performance degradation in doing so.

I'm not saying the switch works this way but if the packets are on a bus
and configuring a span port just means telling the port to grab anything
on the bus, it would seem there would be no performance hit.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.