Snort mailing list archives

Re: inbound alerts only

From: "Stephen Dunn" <sdunn () stephendunn com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:35:42 -0700 (PDT)

Check the port mirroring configuration on your switch.  Many switches will
give you the option to monitor just the tx or rx portion of a mirrored
port.  If you use tcpdump, confirm that you can see both directions of an
established connection:

tcpdump -i <your interface> -n host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and port 22

If you do not see any output indicating your internal host as the source,
this is most likely your problem.

Steve

 Hello everybody,I am having a sorta weird problemo. I looked through
the FAQ and did a web search etc. but didn't find any solution to my
problem. (or maybe didn't look effectively enough) I have snort running
on a solaris box right outside a firewall with a stealth interface. I
added this rule: 'alert tcp any any -&gt; xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 22' and tried
to ssh to the x'd out IP from an internal machine; No alerts were
triggered. Upon noting that such a simple rule wasn't working, I looked
through all my previous alerts and noticed that not a single alert was
from one of our internal machines going outbound ( I would at least
expect a false positive or two here and there since we use 'any' as our
$HOME_NET and $EXTERNAL_NET). All alerts were from external machines
coming into our network. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is
there a setting somewhere which states only look for inbound bad
traffic? Could our firewall be somehow mangling the traffic enough that
it doesn't  quite match a rule somehow; e.g NAT or something? I have
tried several different tests to try to figure out what is going on but
to no avail.. Any thoughts? I am missing something really
obvious?Thanks Everyone! Dave

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com