Snort mailing list archives

Fw: Snort Sensor Placement Outside Firewall

From: "Tom Sevy" <tsevy () epx com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:52:16 -0400

Put it on the outside for testing -- you should get more data than on the
inside.  Then decide after the testing about where to position it as Erek
said.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Michael Steele wrote:

You forgot to mention the time that may be involved in sorting through the
massive amount of data with a sensor on the outside.

More like "didn't mention" vs. "forgot".  Usually unless someone is just
feeling masochistic, the information overload from outside the firewall is
usually changed/toned down ASAP.

What could be some of the possibilities that make that scenario a possible
solution, when the IDS could or should in most cases be placed on the near
side of the firewall?

http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/ids_placement.txt

That one has been beaten to death so many times it's not even funny.  You
can place it before or after the FW, but I think that's a choice that has
to be made after testing.  I don't think there is a hard and fast answer
to 'where?'.  You're going to almost always have to test/retest to check
out how it works and how you want to handle it.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams