Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using SNORT for Internal IDS

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:22:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Pankaj Gupta wrote:

I am not sure if Snort can be used to monitor internal attacks or intrusion
activities. Also, can I use two copies of Snort (installed on two separate
servers), one to monitor the external port outside my firewall and the other
to monitor specific internal ports for signature matches. Does anyone have
any experience, inputs or documentation on this matter? Thanks.

Snort can be used for any type of detection.  It all depends on where you
place it and what you want to see.

You can use as many copies as you want.  It doesn't care that you're using
more than one.

All it takes is the correct physical placement, and the correct setting of
your HOME_NET/EXTERNAL_NET.

Check out the placement docs on Snort.org.  They have a lot of useful info
in them.  You might also want to check out this [0].

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

[0]     http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/ids_placement.txt