Snort mailing list archives

Minimal OS installation for a Snort sensor

From: Francesco <friscom () tin it>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:16:18 +0200

I remember a 20 months old document at SANS by Mr. Metcalf that is a very detailed guide for a mixed Linux/Windows configuration where there are useful indication for a minimal (Linux RH) OS installation to be used for the sensor. By reducing the number of unnecessary components we can avoid waste of resources and also reduce the chance that weak components can be a cause of failure (vulnerability at first).

Does anyone have his own indication for such configuration with recent OS releases (Linux as well as BSD)?

Hope this question can be useful to newbies, but also to experts to review their "defaults"

Francesco