Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cross-device link ??

From: Andreas Östling <andreaso () it su se>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:47:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Schmehl, Paul L wrote:

I'm running oinkmaster through cron every night, and I started getting
this a few days back.  I thought it might be a temporary glitch, but it
doesn't appear to be now.  Anyone have a clue what this is?  A dangling
symlink? :-)

Could not move /tmp/oinkmaster.54914/rules/attack-responses.rules to
/usr/local/share/snort/attack-responses.rules: Cross-device link Exiting
at /usr/local/bin/oinkmaster line 755.

I think the error message may be bogus.
Someone (sorry, forgot who) reported this to me a while ago and he found a
bug in move() in the File::Copy module (don't know if they have fixed it)
that caused the wrong error message being printed in some situations.
When move() can't move by doing a rename (like if it's a cross-device
link), it does a normal copy instead, but if the copy also fails,
the error message from the initial move() was instead printed.

So perhaps you have some permission problem or something.
Try editing oinkmaster line 745 and 1060 and replace "move" with "copy"
and you should hopefully get a useful error message.
(or try cvs version)

/Andreas