Snort mailing list archives

Re: Database compatibility

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:40:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Vuppala, Vijaybhasker (EM, GECIS) wrote:

I understand there's a limitation in Mysql that the database can't grow
beyond 2GB and other commercial databases like MS SQL and Oracle doesn't
have this limitation.

Do we have an option to use any other database along with SNORT like MS SQL
or Oracle, instead of Mysql. is there a workaround for mysql issue.

That limit is only for tables, not for the entire DB.

Check the MySQL docs:

The RAID_TYPE option will help you to break the 2G/4G limit for the MyISAM
datafile (not the index file) on operating systems that don't support big
files. Note that this option is not recommended for filesystem that
supports big files! You can get more speed from the I/O bottleneck by
putting RAID directories on different physical disks. RAID_TYPE will work
on any OS, as long as you have configured MySQL with --with-raid. For now
the only allowed RAID_TYPE is STRIPED (1 and RAID0 are aliases for this).
If you specify RAID_TYPE=STRIPED for a MyISAM table, MyISAM will create
RAID_CHUNKS subdirectories named 00, 01, 02 in the database directory. In
each of these directories MyISAM will create a table_name.MYD. When
writing data to the datafile, the RAID handler will map the first
RAID_CHUNKSIZE *1024 bytes to the first file, the next RAID_CHUNKSIZE
*1024 bytes to the next file and so on.

From:  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_TABLE.html

And remember--Google is your friend!  :)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams