Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sorry for such question, but ...

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:13:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, magre wrote:

Wanted to ask one question - is snort able to sniff another IP
address(another - not from the home network).

I have one IP address, that want to sniff for logs.  This IP has our
Clan's server for game "Jedi Knight 2:Jedi Outcast", and I want to
listen to what server writes in console. What is written there is
readable by SIMPLE user that logged on to server through the
game. But I'm not able to lauch full game, so i wanted to launch
some programm to listen to server. Is such procedure possible ?

The simplest answer is "No."  Basically if you're not on the same
_physical_ segment (plugged into the same device that the other machine is
on), you're not going to be able to do it.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams