Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] New Feature based on MAC address filterig (Possible !!!!!)

From: Michael Boman <michael.boman () securecirt com>
Date: 17 Jun 2003 13:22:32 +0800

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 12:23, Atul Shrivastava wrote:
Hello,

There is one feature which is lacking in Snort.

The feature is such that we can make rule based on the MAC address. I
mean to say that I will make a pool of valid MAC addresses and then if
any of the MAC addresses doesn't match with this MAC address pool then
a alert has been generated for that. For that it is required to add
one more preprocessor and then in that preprocessor we have to
manually add the MAC addresses. Is it possible, because this feature
is not there in any of the leading IDS.

This feature solves the problem that if anyone comes to your internal
LAN physically with this laptop and then plugs his laptop into the
internal LAN and takes a valid IP from some employess on personal
basis and try to copy some important and confidential data from the
network or try to do something illegal in the network, if this feature
is there then he bill be caught by that thing.

Any sugessions are welcome.

Why not run arpwatch?

Best regards
 Michael Boman