Snort mailing list archives

Re: Capturing incoming packets?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:45:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 guano () hackerfactor com wrote:

[...snip...]

I really want to capture "everything that is initiated from the
outside world".  Including UDP, TCP, and ICMP (ARP isn't important to me).
Basically, I want to capture everything that is not part of a session
initiated by me.
  - Keeping track of TCP sessions is feasible.
  - Keeping track of UDP and ICMP sessions (since they are stateless) is
    a little more difficult.  I'm thinking it would keep track of host/port
    in a finite timeframe.

Is this possible already?

Yep.

        snort -l <logdir> -b 'not net <local_lan>'

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams