Snort mailing list archives

RE: Barnyard run problems

From: tforeman () ibsys com
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:24:55 -0500

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 tforeman () ibsys com wrote:

I have installed barnyard and am trying to get it to run.

RH 8.0 Kernel: 2.4.20-13.7smp

[...snip...]

ERROR => No input plugin found for magic: a1b2c3d4

[...snip...]

It's 'endian-ness'.  The unified data was written on bigendian box
(sparc) and is being processed on a little endian box
(i386)--Or vice
versa.

Change it to use the same kind of boxes and you're good to go.

What Erek said would cause this problem, but I think that there is a
more likely explaination.

You are feeding Barnyard and snort pcap output file.
Barnyard subsists
exclusively on a diet of snort unified output files.

See the output unified section of snort.conf

-steve

Steve hits the nail on the head. I had not changed the snort.conf
file to output unified files. Nicholas Delo also sent me the same
suggestion directly.

Thanks to all for the speedy responses!

--
Timothy W. Foreman   ~   System Administrator   ~   tforeman () ibsys com
Internet Broadcasting Systems ~ (651) 365-4181 ~ http://www.ibsys.com/