Snort mailing list archives

RE: Gigabit NIC's and snort hardware required??

From: "Zach Forsyth" <Zach.Forsyth () kiandra com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:42:03 +1000

Bennet,

That is great information.
Thanks.

Couple of questions.
When I use the command :> snort -vi2, shouldn't that be a very fast
running version of snort?
It is only logging to the dos window I run it in. Is it using any rules
when run in this way?

I was under the impression that if it could not keep up with that
command when I tell it to log or alert to a DB it would be even worse.

So for my 1gb snort box I will look at something like:

P4 Xeon - does Xeon make a big difference? does it matter if it is dual
or not?
512mb or 1gb ddr ram - ram speed help, or just amount?
64bit pci slot
64bit PCI gb nic v- any nics that are preferable, the compaq/hp one is
an intel anyways.
SATA or SCSI raid? Does disk speed make a huge difference?

In order if importance to snort speed:

Tuning
Pci bus and gb card speed
memory
Processor

?? I have no idea really, but would love to hear some opinions.

Thanks for all the help.
I will look into all of the tips you have mentioned already.

Zach