Snort mailing list archives

Re: Configuring Snort on LAN

From: JP Vossen <vossenjp () netaxs com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 00:39:30 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:40:04 +0300
From: Robert Golovniov <golovniov () interia pl>
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Configuring Snort on LAN

Hello snort-users,

  I  am  sitting  on  a LAN workstation and would like to know whether
  there  are any attempts to connect to my machine (for example, via a
  remote  admin program) or whether there is any program sitting here,
  which  is  trying  to send unauthorized information from my machine.
  I  would  also  be  interested  in  any attempts to scan my ports or
  run/stop  any  services  here  without  my  knowledge.  How should I
  configure Snort (via IDScenter) and what rules should I use?

Sounds to me like what you want is Zone Alarm.  It's much easier to install
configure and run than Snort and it will do *exactly* what you ask for above.
Snort can do all of those things too, just not nearly as easily.

There are free for personal use and commerrcial versions avilable. [0]  It's
the prefect tool for your need, I highly recommend you check it out.

Later,
JP

[0] http://www.zonelabs.com/
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
"The software said it requires Windows XP or better, so I installed
Linux..."