Snort mailing list archives

Re: Virus Rules Gone?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:04:28 -0400

At 03:04 PM 5/30/2003 -0600, Steve An wrote:
Hello,

Is Snort not using virus rules any longer?  I got this signature update...

Well, the virus rules haven't been actively developed for something like 2 years now, so does this surprise you?

Besides, snort makes an extraordinarily lame replacement for a virus scanner. With the advent of free tools like clamAV, IMHO anyone using the virus rules is just wasting CPU time on something which is done better elsewhere.

Is there something I'm missing that makes these rules have some value, or does it just boil down to another "admins are lazy and want one app to do it all, even if it does it poorly" situation?