Snort mailing list archives

RE: Firing off Abuse email based on Snort Traffic

From: "Donofrio, Lewis" <donofrio () umich edu>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:09:58 -0400

I used to send out emails like this...

***SNIPPED***
Administrative Contact: abuse () t-online de;abuse () t-dialin net

On 8:26:01 PM,Wednesday, October 16, 2002, there were several
unauthorized attempts to access servers here at the University of
Michigan, USA. The attempts appear to have originated from
217.81.235.234, a host in your domain. I'm sending you the portion of
our log files that alerted us to this breakin attempt. The times
indicated are Eastern Daylight Time.

 Since this activity amounts to trying to gain illegal access to a
government machine across state lines, I appreciate your assistance in
preventing future intrusion attempts from this machine. Thanks.

http://advice.networkice.com/advice/Intrusions/2003013/?port=1433&reason
=RSTsent
********SNIPPED FROM ATTACKLIST.CVS********
Severity                1
Timestamp (GMT)         2002-10-16 20:26:11
IssueId         2003013
IssueName               SQL port probe
IntruderIp              217.81.235.234
IntruderName    pd951ebea.dip.t-dialin.net
VictimIp                141.211.32.70
VictimName
Attack Parameters       port=1433&reason=RSTsent
Attack Count    4
Intruder Port   4417
Victim Port             1433
********SNIPPED FROM ATTACKLIST.CVS********

***SNIPPED***

Did the who is lookup and had to exclude a lot of ports, emailed myself
from this automatic script, then only got 10% returned emails saying
'thanks.'

--after awhile of doing this the isp responces died down, almost like
it's a "don't ask don't tell" world on the internet I or II.
Lewis   Donofrio () umich edu   College of Literature, Science, & Arts
1007 East Huron, Room 201,      BetaID:243340   Cell: (734) 323-8776
Ann Arbor,MI 48104-1690 www.umich.edu/~donofrio  Fax: (734) 647-8333