Snort mailing list archives

Re: Firing off Abuse email based on Snort Traffic

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:07:50 -0400

FWWIW, I'd like to give you some perspective.

If you were to send me such an email without good evidence that an actual attack was occurring, I'd request you immediately cease. If you failed to cease, I'd blacklist all email from your domain on the third occurrence, and issue a complaint to your upstream provider.

I'd think LONG and HARD about automating an abuse complaint based on such a weak sign as portscan thresholds. People do not take kindly to being bombarded by email from a half-baked and broken "intrusion" sensor. It adds noise to an already overloaded system.

If you can unconditionally prove it is a legitimate attack, then feel free to automate.. but abuse should not be abused by carpet bombing it with "hunches" and "I think this may be an attack" from automated systems. The "maybe" cases should be hand written.