Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + IPv6

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:10:07 -0400

Well, it should be noted that the "ipv6 experiment" that Marty put out in December was NOT a IPv6 enabled version of snort.. it only had an IPv6 decoder and printing engine.. no IPv6 support in the rules language, or detection engine, so it was strictly a very limited experiment to test a decoder only. It would however be able to detect anomalies in IPv4 tunnels running through IPv6.

You can re-read the post announcing it here:
http://lists.insecure.org/lists/focus-ids/2002/Dec/0069.html

If your needs are a full ipv6 aware version of snort, sorry, no such thing exists (yet), but you can take the presence of a decoder test as a sign that ipv6 support is on its way. If you need something that can analyze non-encrypted IPv4 tunnels in IPv6 packets, then perhaps someone on the list can direct you to a copy of the test code.