Snort mailing list archives

Re: Elkern Worm

From: Terence Runge <terencerunge () sbcglobal net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:14:00 -0700

If memory serves me right, Elkern relies on easily cracked passwords with Administrator permissions in order to infect your Windows shares. Run an xscan against one of your infected systems and check for a weak or non-existent Adminstrator password.

-Terence

Lorraine Cannavale wrote:

I just sent an e-mail to the snort-sigs list seeking a rule or ruleset to
detect the Elkern worm (if anyone in this group has the rule, your response
is welcome).

But, I would really like some tips and advice on controlling the Elkern worm
on our network.  We have antivirus software installed on each workstation,
and it should be configured to obtain the latest virus definitions daily.
However, we do not have an accurate way (today) of determining if
workstations do in fact have the latest AV signatures, nor do we have a way
of determining what workstations may be infected with viruses.  Our shared
folders on servers keep getting re-infected with the Elkern virus.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Lorraine

.