Snort mailing list archives

libpcap not found by configure

From: "James Schnack" <acrux14 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:44:48 +0000

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to install snort 2.0.0 on RH8.0 (w/updates - kernel is 2.4.20-13.8). I have installed libpcap 0.7.2 (compiled it; would rather not use rpm), and installed mysql client (in this case, using rpm).

When trying to compile snort, I can't get past the configure step. Error message says it cannot find libpcap, and I've tried just about everything... with no luck.

I've set up soft links in /usr/lib and /usr/include to libpcap files in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include, I've added /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf and run ldconfig, I've used the --with-libpcap-* options in configure...

I'm no guru in software compiling matters, that's for sure, but I have tried and researched... and ran out of ideas. Any help will be appreciated!

I'm including a capture to make things clearer:

[root@fourier snort-2.0.0]# ll /usr/local/lib
total 136
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       132308 May 19 19:35 libpcap.a
[root@fourier snort-2.0.0]# ll /usr/local/include/
total 16
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May 19 19:35 net
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         7319 May 19 19:35 pcap.h
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         3326 May 19 19:35 pcap-namedb.h
[root@fourier snort-2.0.0]#
[root@fourier snort-2.0.0]#
[root@fourier snort-2.0.0]# ./configure --with-mysql --enable-smbalerts --with-libpcap-libraries=/usr/local/li
b/ --with-libpcap-includes=/usr/local/include/
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... none
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) none
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for sparc alignment... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/sockio.h usability... no
checking sys/sockio.h presence... no
checking for sys/sockio.h... no
checking paths.h usability... yes
checking paths.h presence... yes
checking for paths.h... yes
checking for inet_ntoa in -lnsl... yes
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking whether printf must be declared... no
checking whether fprintf must be declared... no
checking whether syslog must be declared... no
checking whether puts must be declared... no
checking whether fputs must be declared... no
checking whether fputc must be declared... no
checking whether fopen must be declared... no
checking whether fclose must be declared... no
checking whether fwrite must be declared... no
checking whether fflush must be declared... no
checking whether getopt must be declared... no
checking whether bzero must be declared... no
checking whether bcopy must be declared... no
checking whether memset must be declared... no
checking whether strtol must be declared... no
checking whether strcasecmp must be declared... no
checking whether strncasecmp must be declared... no
checking whether strerror must be declared... no
checking whether perror must be declared... no
checking whether socket must be declared... no
checking whether sendto must be declared... no
checking whether vsnprintf must be declared... no
checking whether snprintf must be declared... no
checking whether strtoul must be declared... no
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for strlcpy... no
checking for strlcat... no
checking for strerror... yes
checking for floor in -lm... yes
checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... no

  ERROR!  Libpcap library/headers not found, go get it from
  http://www.tcpdump.org
  or use the --with-libpcap-* options, if you have it installed
  in unusual place
[root@fourier snort-2.0.0]#

Thanks to all!!!

James