Snort mailing list archives

Re: unknown output plugin: 'alert_syslog'

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:13:22 -0400

At 03:29 PM 5/22/2003 -0400, Jeff Dickens wrote:
I installed the RPM from snort.org "snort-1.9.1-1snort.i386.rpm" on Red Hat
linux 7.3."
When I try to use the "alert_syslog" output plugin I get this message:

WARNING: unknown output plugin 'alert_syslog'

In fact, if I just try to start up snort with the "-s" switch I get a usage
message.  Did I get the wrong package ?

Note: Snort 1.9.1 is REMOTELY EXPLOITABLE due to a defect in the stream4 preprocessor. DO NOT use 1.9.1 unless you disable stream4, as you will be vulnerable to attack for execution of arbitrary code at the user privilege level snort runs as (often root).

Really, I'd advise downloading a source tarball and building that. Binary RPMs are inherently fraught with problems unless they are made by your distribution provider, or explicitly for your specific distribution and release. For example a RPM that works for RedHat 8.0 may not work on 7.3 due to shared library differences.

All that said, alert_syslog should work...

Could you quote the exact line in your config that you are using to invoke the plugin?

As for snort -s what other command line parameters did you pass? you need to give more than just a -s... snort -s -c /etc/snort.conf is a good start