Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort alerts to SNMP

From: "Roy S. Rapoport" <snort-users () ols inorganic org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:26:51 -0700

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 09:00:52PM -0400, Rafeeq Rehman wrote:
I don't have experience with Nagios but it works very well with HP OpenView
(I tested with Network Node Manager). Yes, you can do some trend analysis
based upon traps/alerts. However, I don't recommend to merge Snort data with
any production network monitoring system. False alarms do occur which may
panic operators in production environment.

I'm not sure I understand -- if you're using Snort as an IDS (Intrusion
Detection System) shouldn't you be panicing, or at least responding
vigorously, in the case of an alarm?

-roy