Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to log as ASCII?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:37:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 May 2003 peter.grosse-hering () ps ge com wrote:

How can I log into a plain ASCII files in the same format as alert_full? We
also want to avoid those subdirectory structures, but need just a plain
ASCII file where all "Log"-rules log into...

Well...  I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Full and Fast alert modes both
_are_ ASCII files.

If you want the packet decoded and the payload listed in the alert files,
as you have in the <log_dir>/<IP_Address>/<whatever> files, you can't.

I think a viable option would be to log in binary (pcap), then post
process the file to examine the packet and the alert.  Once you have a
pcap file, do something like:

        snort -dvr <file> |more

And you'll have the full packet dump as in the directories, but without
all the files and subdirs.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams